- May the sun bring you new energy by day, . may the moon softly restore you by night, . may the rain wash away your worries, . may the breeze blow new strength into your being, . may you walk gently through the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life. . - Apache Blessing artist~ @mysticmamma *Featuring “Ataloa” (Little Song) Stone Mclendon - born 1895 in the Chickasaw Nation of Oklahoma - a trailblazer for women’s right to an education during a time when women were often denied that right and expected to stay home, cook, clean, and raise children. . #fullmoonvibes
- I don’t get those hashtags that say #nofilter. . I took so many pictures my last night in Athens at the Acropolis and none of them looked as mind twistingly, impossibly beautiful as what all of my sensory systems took in. . a camera is a filter. . #nofilter is just a ruse. . the architecture of my brain is so different than any other brain - that alone is one of the first line of filters. . and all that nuance that my own brain is interpreting what I see by layering on past, present, future, my mood, the weather, time of day, companionship... . . this photo happened right after I leaned over the velvet rope to get a better picture of the sunset, nearly touching a marble pillar and being firmly told by the guard to “not touch the structure!” . ((at least that’s what the filter in my head told me he said, attempting to translate Greek 😜)) . he was clearly REALLY. angry. with. me, until he saw my photo...and then we shared a sweet smile. . #filtered 🇬🇷💙
- when I picked this handsome little bugger up off the SFO International ride app platform he/she (?) was clinging to the pavement with his/her every ounce of grit. . What does it mean? . Is it trying to tell me something? . Jet lagged and feeling a bit like I swam through a surrealistic warp in the matrix, I cautiously guided my new friend to a more sheltered human made structure. . . 10 days abroad, no kids, Mediterranean ambiance, a few of the seven deadly sins accomplished, random Internet access- nearly non existent screen time - what magical piece of deep unearthing resulted? . I’m not sure. . But as my kind Uber driver waited for my momentary lapse into monarch butterfly bliss, I really ached for it to be on a lush boysenberry bush, flittering away with a gaggle of other butterflies. . I really ached for my own gaggle of critters awaiting me at home. In my leaky, occasionally rat inhabited, bedraggled, and well loved treehouse abode. . A really good, bitter sweet, slightly heart wrenching ache. . Not transformed, not new, but a really old, satisfying knowing deep inside.
- every time I take a picture of them I think to myself... . please . please . pLeAsE~ ... don’t forget this moment. . . #freezeframe
- said me, to me...everyday, nowadays. . grateful for another day that I don’t have to think about breathing. . 17-23,000ish breaths EVERYDAY, without a single thought. . and, reallllly savoring those slower, deeper, more intentional breaths that I set reminders on my phone to remind me to do. . some days faking it til I make it, thrashing at the sunlight, or whining that the sun’s not even out yet as I press snooze once again. . the more I dig into the science of breathing, the more miraculous it seems. . the memory of my grandma’s last breath a decade ago, sitting next to her, staring at her chest - driving home that, one day, that automatic process will stop for me too. . is it just me or is it soooo mind blowing when the ordinary becomes extraordinary? . #air 🌬
“I am inhabited by the life giving force of air”...🌩 . . Quote/Namaskar - @thesoveringpath Photo - @kylekerr Video - @burakkostak with @plotagraphpro Music - @sadgirlsloan
- Ohh Robert Smith, you goth-man of mystery, 80’s mixed tape maven, drippy lullaby crooner, taunting me to sleep as a teen. . My mind wafting about, lingering in some lazy, languid dream place. . Addicted to imagining my soul connecting deeply, longingly with a star-crossed lover- making it impossible to match with my reality. . Until the day I turned the record over and put the needle square on me... . Replacing every outward, intangible yearning - for a delight in my own existence. . my own breath - my body breathing me 17-30,000 times per day. . my 7 octillion atoms. . 86 billion nerve cells joined by 100 trillion connections...more than all the stars in the Milky Way. . blood circulating ~12,000 miles a day. . skeleton renewing itself completely every 10 years. . top layer of skin renewing every 30 days. . eyes distinguishing between 10,000 different colors. . bones 5 times stronger than steel. . lips 100 times more sensitive than my finger tips. . heart beating 35 million times a year..yes, 35 million. . and, the absolute beauty that despite what we know about our human-ness, we may forever be discovering more. . that, dimensions of what it means to be alive will exist in our wordless sensations, felt in the formless frequencies of our etheric body, not remotely quantifiable. . . #MoreThanADream ✨
- more camping, please 🙏🏼 . . #familymedicine
True story. . I’m tired but not depleted - I wrote that in my last post and it might be a lie, but the thing is, I kept telling myself that over and over again the last few days while we sat by Gianni’s bedside perplexed by what was happening to him...and wouldn’t you know it, it kinda feels legit. . It just might be the biggest lie I’ve ever told myself, but where’s the harm in faking it ‘til I make it? . Just the thought of, “I’m not depleted” had me navigating all the ways I fill myself up. . My brain was scanning for what I’ve done right instead of dwelling on how much I was going to suffer later from the stress, heartache, confusion, and sleep deprivation. . I made room for this - I. did. that. . and it wasn’t all easy, it wasn’t all mantras and burning incense (maybe a little)... . It was so much cleaning out of emotional overload, feeling it all, asking for help when I need it, and stretching myself to give more when I thought I was on empty. . All the limits I’ve set, things I’ve said no to, the bizarre things I’ve said a big fat yes to, the risks I’ve taken, and the respite I’ve given myself in between all of the stuff. . It’s being a hot mess and still holding tight to the tender grip of my worthy human-ness. . It’s being in the presence of others unfolding into the gorgeous raw realness of their existence. . It’s the delirious delusion that’s steadily seducing me to accept that life’s amusing and miraculous. . It’s dancing and stirring my flesh and bones into a breathless soup of euphoric abandon. . It’s knowing that I know so little and that’s ok because that means there’s still so much to discover. . And, if I know I know so little, it’s possible I’m lying to myself about feeling filled up, and I can live with that. . My beautiful boy is healing from his mystery illness, our refrigerator is full with generous food to fill our belly’s from friends and family, I’m in AWE of the care of so many that surrounded Gianni with prayers, the best of their medical acumen, willingness to excuse him from a ballgame or class quiz, and these body’s we travel in that are really still such enigmas. . Thanks for all of it 💙 .
- Too long ago Tuesday, 2009. . First of all, I’ve had way too much time on my hands sitting at the ER the past two days - too little sleep to do anything requiring much of my thinking brain - and a very full heart. . Gianni was sick with a nasty little bug last week, better in time to go to school on Friday and a baseball game on Saturday- and then wHaMo, Sunday night he got hit with a wildly bizarre symptom profile that landed us in the ER sleuthing out the mysterious code red pain in his head. . I’m so tired I could drop my phone mid sentence as I write this - but I don’t feel depleted and G’s in tremendous pain but he sees a way out. . His doctor called him a, “remarkable young man.” . My heart leaped. . I feel so grateful I spent the weekend in the redwoods of the Santa Cruz mountains filling me up mind, body, and soul ( @thealtfeminine ). In the past, I would’ve felt guilty taking that time to recharge away from the kids. And today, I embrace it with my whole self and - my whole family really gets how important it is for me to deep dive into these moments. I return with SO much more presence and openness to all the messiness, appreciating all the goodness, and all the everyday gorgeous ordinariness. . My little guy is so big - I wanted so bad to carry him, hold him like I did in this picture, but his 11 year old feet are even bigger than he was then. We have a new way now, it’s different - requiring both of us to adjust some - and also, it’s so clear we’re in this big beautiful life together 💙 . . #thisisgrowingup
~ bring it. . . #wholehealth
- mmmmmm, pollen 🐝🌼 . . Bees use their teensy legs to knoodle golden, dusty pollen from fertile blossoms. . #beesknees ✨ . All bees that collect pollen are female. . And, well, pollen is the male seed of flowers, produced in the anther of the flower’s stamen. . After the pollen is shaken loose by the bees, they use special comb like areas on their legs to scoop the pollen into storage areas on their body - destined for the hive. . Bee pollen is a superfood because it’s actually a complete food. . It contains everything that humans need to survive: . Bee pollen is about 25% carbohydrate, 20% protein, 4.5% fats - the rest is pigments, minerals, vitamins, water, and it’s high in trace minerals such as copper. . Pollen is high in B vitamins - showing promise for energy and stress. . It’s also very high in bio-flavonoids and antioxidants - possibly explaining the positive effect on allergies. . And, a wildly interesting tidbit, there’re actually trace elements found in bee pollen that have yet to be identified through the marvels of modern science. Many researchers believe this may account for the many health benefits of bee pollen that occur without a known mechanism of action. . Gotta love a little mystery 💛 . #springfever