Instagram recently changes their policy. You can read more about it on their blog here – Instagram Platform Update. In short words – Instagram now requires each app, like LightWidget to go through review process and to adapt to their new policy. Our app was accepted by Instagram, so it means that LightWidget can still provide responsive widgets for Instagram. This is great news for us and for our users!
However there are couple of changes we need to implement in our service to adapt to their new policy. Most important changes are:
Users still will be able to generate widgets for @username. However it will require authorization, before we will be able to put users’s photos into our widget.
It will be possible to generate widgets from #hashtag photos, but only from given @username account. It means that you will be able to generate widget from pictures from your account, but only pictures with particular #hashtag will be visible in our widget.
Unfortunately it won’t be possible to create widget from public photos filtered by #hashtag only :/ This is one of the new restrictions from Instagram.
Everything else remains the same:)
1. When will you implement all the changes?
We plan to implement everything as soon as possible, but we do not want to implement everything at once. There will be few steps in the process. We will update this blog post and our Twitter account with latest changes.
2. What does that mean for people who are using your widgets?
In order to get the photos from your Instagram account, we need your approval to do that. If we won’t get it, we will not be able to update your widget with new photos. You need to authorize our App first.
3. What is this whole authorization process anyway? How does it look like?
It’s really simple and it takes less than a minute to complete. You just need to click the button on the page, login with your Instagram account and click the approve button to our App. That’s it.
4. Does that mean that I need to authorize your app via Instagram first, before I can generate widget for my website?
Yes, before you will be able to use the widget on your website, you need to give us permission to display your photos. It’s one time action and it goes through Instagram. Everything should take less than a minute.
5. I’m a developer and I don’t have access to @client Instagram account. Can I generate the widget for my client?
We have an idea for that. You will be able to generate the widget, but in the end, client will have to confirm access to his photos anyway. It will be really easy and it will be possible to have the widget up and running in less than 2 minutes. More details soon.
6. I want to generate the widget for #sport and fetch photos from all Instagram accounts that are marked with this hashtag.
7. What will happen to old @username widgets? Will they be deleted? Do I need to generate new widget?
Until end of May 2016 they will work as usual. After that they will stop pulling new photos, but the widget will be available and will display old photos. However you can use our early-access program and authorize our app right now. After authorization your widget will still function without any changes.
8. What will happen to old #hashtag widgets?
Until end of May they will work as usual. After that they will stop pulling new photos. Widgets will be available and will display photos from last update.
9. I have upgraded widget for @username. Do I need to authorize it as well?
Yes, you need to authorize it too. More details soon.
10. I have upgraded widget widget for #hashtag. What should I do?
You can change your widget settings or request a refund. More details soon.